Camping at Apollo Bay was really nice, the amenities were excellent, the camp kitchen, TV room and good showers. The staff were great.
A bit of a sleep in, we got up at 8:00 after a few interruptions during the night. It was a cold clear night so we had some moisture on the fly of the tent. It must have been rubbing on the inner tent as we had some moisture on our sleeping bag and air mattress in the morning after we got up.
A bit of a slow start. Charlie and I had omelettes then we started packing up. Kat had already packed the sleeping bags and got the air mattresses out. We had to wait a little for the fly to dry out so Warren, Sue, Kye and Jack headed into town to do some shopping. We were about ten minutes behind them and by the time we'd reached the shop, they'd left town.
We encountered some slow traffic on the way out of town on the way to Port Campbell, Warren had the same. By the time we were nearly at the 12 Twelve Apostles, they already been to Gibson's Steps. Charlie was asleep so Kat and Chloe went with them to see the Twelve Apostles. When they got back Charlie woke, and unfortunately his clothes and seat were wet . By the time we'd dealt with that, sewn up a tear in Jackson's pants and fed the kids, Warren and the others had headed on.
Kat, Chloe, Charles and I went for the lookout walk, Charles was out of sorts because he was tired and probably hungry.
Driving on we went past Loch Ard thinking it would be too busy and there would be more places to see. Just past was an interesting lookout, with a dirt track heading out to the cliffs on our left. I was looking for a place to turn around and go back when we came to another track which took us out to another interesting lookout over the cliffs to another isolated monument.
It was an interesting view. A large hole through it had water streaming out through cracks beneath it. As we watched. the large swells broke high enough to push water through the hole and presumably fill up whichever crevice the water was flowing out of.
We we arrived in Port Campbell we drove around, checked out the caravan park and when we got Warren on the radio, we found we were ahead of them as they'd stopped at Loch Ard.
When we first left Nowra, Warren let us take the lead, after we got to the Hume I found that if I set my speed at 105 kph he'd catch up, but at 110 he'd fall behind. Later he took the lead and I found that I had to do more than 110 to keep up.
I wonder if we'll still be playing catch up through the desert when we get there.
After setting up at the caravan park at Port Campbell, we went for a walk out to a very interesting wharf. On the wharf was a large derrick, apparently for lifting boats out of the water. We walked around then headed back.
Showered the kids early so we could get some laundry down as it might be a few days before we can wash clothes again.
After his shower we had Charles in his pyjamas. He was most disappointed that we wouldn't let him play with "One Man" (Warren) and "One Boy" (Kye) with the toy they were throwing around afterwards.
Spaghetti again for dinner as I wasn't very inspired when we shopped in the morning. Perhaps chicken tomorrow.
As I was cooking, I was watching the various weather forecasts, most of them said we would most likely get rain. I juggles my previous experiences, with possible outcomes, and decided that our best course of action would be to upgrade to a cabin.
We may get stuck with rain in the desert, but while we have the opportunity, we'll avoid it.
When it comes to the weather I usually take the "wimp's" way out, while Warren usually wait to see how it turns out. It usually works out OK for him, but I've been caught out when the weather has turned bad too many times. I had this mental image of three wet and unhappy kids and one wet and unhappy wife, with neither of dealing well with the wet and unhappy kids very well, then made the decision.
Packed up the tent and moved into the cabin. $107 extra but it sprinkled on me as I was packing, we got rain just now as I'm writing and the rain I'm worried about is meant to arrive after midnight and continue during the day.
I think tomorrow I may look at our tarps and buy more poles. We plan to meet up with Brad, a friend of Warren's, around Beachport. If the weather allows, we'll camp on the beach.

No comments:
Post a Comment