Tuesday, July 08, 2025

Monday 7th July Selwyn Snowfields

 We were up at 7:00, got ready quickly and headed to Selwyn.

It was mostly clear but we did have some thick cloud where we had to slow down. Though we did have some thick cloud where we had to slow down. At one point, in the cloud, we were doing nearly 100 and it felt like we were standing still.

At Selwyn it took us some time to work out the new ticket system. You pay on one machine, print out a QR code, then go to another machine to scan that code which should print out a lift ticket, if it's working, which it wasn't. 

The lady who was looking after the machine took us inside and printed out a few for us. You put them in a pocket on your left side, around waist height, and a reader at the gate for the lift lets you through.

We organised a lesson for Chloe, then Charles and I got our tickets and went to hire some gear. The guy there told us we'd save $30 per person by booking online. So we went and spent 30 mins navigating their shitty system then back to wait in line for an hour to get our gear.

Chloe went for her group lesson for a beginner snowboarder, which turned out to be a group of one. We then managed to get Charles into a first time skier lesson, minutes before the start.

I should have gotten a lesson, but after a few hours I was nearly steady on my skis, though by the end of the day I was still not back to being a competent skier.

At the end of Chloe's lesson the bottom of one of her boots fell off, we taped it up with race tape. Charles finished his lesson as  and we did a few runs together down the first run, New Chum Chair. This is now a chairlift. When I brought Tim and Crystal I think it was a T-bar.

After a few runs we decided to go up the township triple chair, however Charles didn't feel confident so we went back to the first area. Chloe stayed and did a few more runs until her snowboard boot failed again.

Charles and I did a few more runs as the snow got slushy and slow, then he knocked me over getting off the chair and I hurt my neck. So we did a few more runs and called it a day.

Back at Harriett's house we quickly showered, then Katrina, Charles and myself went to the Royal to catch up with Adam and Lara. Then back to Harriett's for a roast dinner. 

Chloe is heading home in the morning so I checked the fluids in her car and cleaned the windscreen. 

 

No comments: